Denver Product Liability Attorneys
Products should be safe to use and should never cause harm to the people who use them. Unfortunately, negligence in the design, manufacturing, or advertising of products can lead to severe and life-altering injuries and, sometimes, death. When accidents occur, these injuries often result in years of emotional trauma and the kinds of medical bills that can cause financial devastation.
With over 30 years of experience, the nationally recognized law firm of Eddington has successfully won millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of injured clients in the Denver area and throughout Colorado. We can help you understand your rights and legal options after a product liability accident.
If you or your family member has been injured as a result of a using a defective or dangerous product, contact our Denver area product litigation attorneys at (303) 815 1585 to schedule a free case evaluation today.
Do I Need a Product Litigation Attorney?
As a victim of a product-related injury, you may find yourself asking many questions about your future and your legal rights. How do I pay for my medical bills? Can I sue the product’s manufacturer? What do I need to know before I can file my defective product case? Can I file a lawsuit on behalf of my injured family member? Answering these and the many other questions that will likely arise in the future can be difficult, even impossible, without the help of an experienced product litigation attorney.
A lawyer with experience in product litigation cases will be able to investigate your accident to determine the exact cause and identify the liable parties. They will understand how negligence works with product liability claims, and what evidence is necessary to prove negligence. They can negotiate with insurance and other lawyers on your behalf, preventing you from accidentally saying anything that might damage your claim. They can even, if necessary, take your case to trial in order to get you the full amount of compensation you need.
If you’ve suffered injuries caused by a defective product, you may be eligible for compensation to help you recover the cost of expensive medical bills, lost wages, and more. The amount of compensation varies from case to case, but it’s important to know that having an experienced product litigation attorney handle your case can result in a larger award than you would likely receive if you tried to handle the case by yourself. Because defective product litigation cases often involve several different defendants, an experienced product litigation attorney can also help you determine if more than one party is liable for your injuries.
Filing a defective product lawsuit can be difficult, stressful, and time-consuming, but a lawyer can handle every aspect of your case so that you can focus your energy on recovering from your injuries.
Why Choose Eddington to Handle My Case?
There are many personal injury lawyers in the Denver area, but when it comes to product litigation, Eddington is your best choice. Some of the factors that set us apart include:
- Experience — Our product litigation attorneys have over 30 years of experience helping clients succeed in product litigation cases in the Denver area and throughout Colorado. Few personal injury law firms in the Denver area have our longevity and dedication to helping injured clients. Our experienced product litigation attorneys have a proven track record for results and have successfully fought for millions of dollars in compensation against defective product designers, manufacturers, and advertisers for our clients.
- Ratings — The product litigation attorneys at Eddington have been nationally recognized, with the firm being honored with the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and a Super Lawyers distinction. Denver’s 5280 magazine named us one of the area’s top personal injury firms.
- Complex Cases — We have been successful in representing clients with severe injuries, including traumatic brain injuries and spinal injuries. Our compassionate attorneys understand how to represent clients with even the most severe injuries, so they get the compensation they need.
- Results — Our product litigation attorneys recently helped a Vietnam veteran who suffered severe burn injuries as a result of a defective product settle his case for $6,250,000.
- Caring and Compassionate Representation — Victims of defective product injuries face extensive medical bills and lost wages. These financial hardships can lead to feelings of frustration and hopelessness. We help our clients get the compensation they deserve so that they can focus on recovery and rehabilitation of their injuries.
At Eddington, our primary concern is our clients, not our profits. This is why we work our cases on a contingency-fee basis. We will handle all the costs of your case up front, and only take a fraction of your eventual settlement as our fees. In the unlikely event that we are unable to recover any compensation for you, you will never owe us a cent.
Negligence in Product Liability Claims
In ordinary personal injury cases, plaintiffs must prove that the defendant was negligent, meaning that their actions were careless or reckless and directly caused significant damages to a person they had a duty to protect. However, product liability claims in Colorado use the “strict negligence” doctrine, which makes filing claims against huge companies much more possible for regular people.
With strict negligence, rather than showing what a manufacturer did or did not do, you simply have to show the following:
- The product was unreasonably dangerous and caused you injuries.
- The injury occurred while you were using the product in a way it was intended to be used.
- The product was still in overall the same condition as it was when it was sold.
- You were not aware of the defect when you used the product.
As long as you can provide evidence that proves these four elements, you should be able to collect compensation from the responsible parties.
Types of Product Liability Cases We Handle
Product defects can arise in a wide variety of ways. These defects tend to fall into one of three categories:
- Design Defects — If a product’s original design is dangerous, it can harm any consumer who uses it, even if it is manufactured perfectly. If your case falls into this category, it is possible that you may be able to take part in a class-action lawsuit.
- Manufacturing Defects — Some products are designed properly, but due to the negligence of the manufacturer, the product becomes defective when it is built. Manufacturing defects can affect individual products or entire shipments.
- Marketing Defects — A product may be defective if it did not have proper or clear instructions about how to use it or if the product’s packaging did not contain necessary warning labels.
These types of defects may be attributed to a variety of parties, including:
- The product designer
- The product manufacturer
- The manufacturer of individual components of the product
- The person who installs or assembles the product
- The person responsible for labeling the product and drafting instruction manuals
- The wholesaler
- The retailer
Though any product can be defective, certain products are more likely to be involved in product liability lawsuits, including:
- Medical devices
- Children’s products
- Kitchen appliances
- Personal grooming appliances
- Swimming pool equipment
If you’ve been injured by a defective product, contact Eddington right away. We can investigate your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and identify the liable parties.
Through a successful product liability case, you may be able to recover compensation for all the losses associated with the accident. This can include:
- Medical expenses, past and future, including emergency room visits, doctor appointments, medications, surgeries, medical devices, and more.
- Lost wages, if you had to miss work due to your injuries, including wages you will lose in the future if you are unable to return to your same job.
- Property damage, if the product malfunction caused damage to any of your property.
- Pain and suffering, if your injuries prevent you from doing activities you once enjoyed, or otherwise cause you mental anguish.
- Disfigurement, if the product malfunction leaves you with significant scarring, burns, or other injuries.
If your loved one tragically passed away as a result of a product malfunction, you can also pursue a wrongful death claim on their behalf. Through this claim, you can recover compensation for their medical expenses leading up to their death, funeral and burial expenses, loss of income, loss of support, loss of consortium, and more.
Defective Product Statistics
According to a report issued by the Insurance Information Institute, the average personal injury award in a product liability case in 2016 was over 7 million dollars. Seniors and children are especially susceptible to severe injuries from defective products. The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that the top hazards by product type for seniors include swimming pool equipment, defective and flammable clothing, bathroom and shower structures, and kitchen equipment. For children, defective nursery products including cribs, strollers, high chairs, and carriers are to blame for serious injuries including lacerations and damage to internal organs.
Contact the Denver Product Litigation Attorneys of Eddington
Defective product cases are complex, but the product litigation attorneys at Eddington have the necessary experience and skill to fight for the compensation that you deserve. Contact us at (303) 815 1585 or fill out an online contact form to schedule your free defective product case evaluation.